Rheinland Castles

TABLE
OF CONTENTS

Home
Introduction
Burgschwalbach
Bürresheim
The Dahn's
Gräfenstein
Hardenburg
Hermitage near Kastel
The Igel Pillar
The Imperial Baths
Kasselburg Castle
Ludwigshöhe Villa
Pfalzgrafenstein
Porta Nigra
Sooneck
Stolzenfels
Trifels
Contact Us

Hermitage near Kastel

Kastel-Staadt (Kreis-Trier-Saarburg)

The hermitage, high above the valley of the Saar, is on ground which has been settled from time immemorial. A Roman and early medieval graveyard were followed in the high Middle Ages by caves dedicated to Christian worship.

About 1600, a Franciscan friar erected a hermitage with a chapel and a hermit's dwelling in the upper story.

In 1833 the Prussian crown prince Frederick William, was given the hermitage ruin as a gift. He had it rebuilt by Karl Friedrich Schinkel as the place of burial and remembrance for King John the Blind of Bohemia who fell at the Battle of Crécy in 1346.

The merging of the Neo-Romanesque building with the landscape is quite superb and a perfect product of the spirit of Romanticism.

 

 

 

 



exphorsa.gif (187 bytes)

Rheinland-Pfalz Graphic and Logo are copyright and owned by
Staatskanzlei  •  Postfach 38 80  •  55028 Mainz   •  Germany
Tel: 011-49-6131 16-4723  •  Fax: 011-49-6131 16-4777

Information and Brochures on the this region
of the Rhine are available at:
The Tourist Information Office
Rheinkai 21,6530
55411 Bingen 1
Deutschland
Telefon: 011-49  6721 / 1 42 69, 184-205
Telefax: 011-49 6721 / 1 62 75
The Tourist Information Office
Rheinkai 21,6530
55411 Bingen 1
Deutschland
Telefon: 011-49  6721 / 1 42 69, 184-205
Telefax: 011-49 6721 / 1 62 75

Please refer any questions or comments pertaining
to this city to the address above.

©1996-2003 CALTIM Designs. All rights reserved.
Report technical problems to the Webmaster
.
Tourist information is not available from this address.