Rheinland Castles

TABLE
OF CONTENTS

Home
Introduction
Burgschwalbach
Bürresheim
The Dahn's
Gräfenstein
Hardenburg
Hermitage near Kastel
The Igel Pillar
The Imperial Baths
Kasselburg Castle
Ludwigshöhe Villa
Pfalzgrafenstein
Porta Nigra
Sooneck
Stolzenfels
Trifels
Contact Us

Pfalzgrafenstein

Kaub (Rhein-Lahn-Kreis)

King Lewis the Bavarian erected Pfalzgrafenstein Castle from 1326/27 as a customs toll castle on a rock in the Rhine.

The oldest part of the structure is the pentagonal tower in the castle courtyard with its apex facing upstream.

The 12 metre high hexagonal ring wall with its defensive passageway and corner turrets was constructed a few years later.

The second defensive passage, the gun bastion facing upstream and the elegant tower cap are reconstruction’s from the 17th and 18th centuries. In the late Middle Ages, Pfalzgrafenstein, together with Gutenfels Castle and the fortified town of Kaub, formed a powerful military barrier in the Rhine valley; nowadays it is part of a landscape of particular beauty.

 

 

 

 

 

exphorsa.gif (187 bytes)

Rheinland-Pfalz Graphic and Logo are copyright and owned by
Staatskanzlei  •  Postfach 38 80  •  55028 Mainz   •  Germany
Tel: 011-49-6131 16-4723  •  Fax: 011-49-6131 16-4777

Information and Brochures on the this region
of the Rhine are available at:
The Tourist Information Office
Rheinkai 21,6530
55411 Bingen 1
Deutschland
Telefon: 011-49  6721 / 1 42 69, 184-205
Telefax: 011-49 6721 / 1 62 75
The Tourist Information Office
Rheinkai 21,6530
55411 Bingen 1
Deutschland
Telefon: 011-49  6721 / 1 42 69, 184-205
Telefax: 011-49 6721 / 1 62 75

Please refer any questions or comments pertaining
to this city to the address above.

©1996-2003 CALTIM Designs. All rights reserved.
Report technical problems to the Webmaster
.
Tourist information is not available from this address.