Rheinland Castles

TABLE
OF CONTENTS

Home
Introduction
Burgschwalbach
Bürresheim
The Dahn's
Gräfenstein
Hardenburg
Hermitage near Kastel
The Igel Pillar
The Imperial Baths
Kasselburg Castle
Ludwigshöhe Villa
Pfalzgrafenstein
Porta Nigra
Sooneck
Stolzenfels
Trifels
Contact Us

Sooneck

Niederheimbach (Kreis Mainz-Bingen)

In the 13th century, Sooneck Castle was a notorious robber knights' den.

Rudolf of Habsburg had is destroyed in 1282 and the rebellious vassal executed.

The new structure, with its massive keep and narrow courtyard, from the 14th century was rebuilt from 1843 on by King Frederick William IV of Prussia and his brothers as a deliberately modest hunting lodge.

In order to retain the sever defensive character of the medieval castle, the military engineer, Karl Schnitzler, was entrusted with the building works. After the losses in the last war, the 19th century furnishings were completely restored, keeping as close to the historical original as possible.

From the USA, phone: 011 49 6743 6064

 

 

 

 

 

exphorsa.gif (187 bytes)

Rheinland-Pfalz Graphic and Logo are copyright and owned by
Staatskanzlei  •  Postfach 38 80  •  55028 Mainz   •  Germany
Tel: 011-49-6131 16-4723  •  Fax: 011-49-6131 16-4777

Information and Brochures on the this region
of the Rhine are available at:
The Tourist Information Office
Rheinkai 21,6530
55411 Bingen 1
Deutschland
Telefon: 011-49  6721 / 1 42 69, 184-205
Telefax: 011-49 6721 / 1 62 75
The Tourist Information Office
Rheinkai 21,6530
55411 Bingen 1
Deutschland
Telefon: 011-49  6721 / 1 42 69, 184-205
Telefax: 011-49 6721 / 1 62 75

Please refer any questions or comments pertaining
to this city to the address above.

©1996-2003 CALTIM Designs. All rights reserved.
Report technical problems to the Webmaster
.
Tourist information is not available from this address.